The second location in the Community First Hale & Hearty 7K Running Series was on Amelia Island on March 16 ,2013. The Fernandina Beach race celebrated Happy & Healthy Places.
The Community First Hale & Hearty 7K Race Route
The Community First Hale & Hearty 7K Fernandina Beach began in downtown Fernandina Beach at Central Park.
For the first time ever, the race took runners down historic and charming Centre Street with its plentiful shopping, retail and restaurants. Runners will also be able to see all sides of the popular and beautiful Central Park, Eagan Creek Greenway and run past the Amelia Lighthouse. The course will then end at Central Park.
Why was the Fernandina Beach Area Chosen as the second location in the Community First Hale & Hearty 7K Running Series?
At the June 2, 2012 inaugural Community First Hale & Hearty 7K Riverside event, we asked the more than 700 runners where they would like to hold the second location and the nearly unanimous answer was Fernandina Beach.
Why is Fernandina Beach a healthy community?
- Walk Score is extremely high – 94!
- Fernandina Beach offers a 50-block downtown district
- The area is on the National Registry of Historic Places
- Home to numerous year-round community and cultural events
- Fort Clinch State Park features a six-mile hiking and biking trail under a canopy of trees
- Area is home to 7 community parks
- Area is home to 3 recreation centers with baseball, soccer and softball fields
- Egans Creek Greenway is 300 acres of greenspace with over 3 miles of multi-use trails
- Cyclists will find a combination of dedicated bike lanes and quiet roads with light traffic.
- Island motorists are accustomed to sharing the road with cyclists and are respectful of their presence
- Home to a weekly Farmer’s Market every Saturday from 9am – 1pm at the Corner of Centre Street & 7th Street North in the beautiful downtown historic district of Fernandina Beach